...wonderful winter hiking trails in the heart of Appenzell!
- Appenzell belongs to your Swiss bucket list!
- You'll find in the town of Appenzell several bakeries offering excellent Artisan bread
- or fantastic butchers with lots of local sausage specialties
- and of course great cheese factories with the world famous Appenzeller Cheese or yummie goat cheeses
- in the historic town of Appenzell you'll find beautiful restored old houses
- if you come in winter go on some of the several winter hiking trails such as Jakobsbad to Gontenbad
- take the cable car up to peak Kronberg from where you can enjoy fantastic views of the Alps
Restaurant Anker - Appenzell Schlatt
As Swiss we must admit, we often get disappointed by quality and price of several restaurants in Switzerland. But this little jewel in the heart of the Appenzell has been such a revelation to us! As soon as you enter the beautiful location, the very charming host Myrtha Geiger awaits you with a big smile. If you walk down to the former stable, which has been transformed in such a wow...wow...wow location, you'll just be overwhelmed! The fantastic decoration, all created by Myrtha Geiger, changes about every 2 months.
When it comes to the menu, the fabulous journey continues. Chef cook Daniel Geiger, prefers local produces and everything is fresh, creative and mouth watering and believe it or not, to very fair prices. Spare some space for the delicious desserts as well...
We had such a wonderful and romantic time in a beautiful and unforgettable setting. Thanks a lot to Myrtha and Daniel, who showed us, that Switzerland still can keep up with other top kitchens around the world!
Bed & Breakfast Neuhof - Schokohaus - Appenzell
This brand new Bed & Breakfast in the town of Appenzell might be the very best you can get in terms of price & quality in this area! .
The host Lukas Koch is a former cook and if booked in advance, you can enjoy a faboulous dinner for at least 6 people. His brother owns a goat dairy, so you'll be able to taste delicious goat cheeses for breakfast as well. They also produce yammie whey truffles, which you can buy as a souvenir.
This little gem will enchant you with its traditional atmosphere, characterized by solid wood furnishings and lots of love to the detail. You'll find funny pictures of their family goats all over! The owner Lukas was very charming and made us feel just like at home!